Thursday, February 9, 2012

2-9

i saw the article in crochet today about kool-aid dying party. and i think that will be a fun thing to do with the knitting group. so i wanted to try it out at home before i get a group of people to do it.
i don't really have any undyed yarn at home. so i used one of the many balls of crochet thread i had. also a ball of mystery yarn, i think its acrylic or cotton
you first have to wrap the balls into hanks. i used my sewing table. my crafting areas are always a mess.

then you soak the yarn in hot water for a half an hour


i only had fruit punch and lemon aid. then i also had the kind you pour into bottled water in grape.
i let the yarn soak in the colors for a half an hour.

i boiled each color for almost an hour each and the water never went clear . so the lemon color just was not doing anything it still looked white. I'm pretty sure that the tube kool-aid was a bad idea because it looked great until it came to rinsing the yarn. it all turned pink. a few shades lighter or darker pink.

for the mystery yarn i just left it in the bowl for three hours. then rinsed. it also ended up pink. and the colored stayed so i think that the yarn if cotton.



and i let the yarn dry overnight

once it was dry there was less color changes. I'm not really happy with the yarn.


and my hand is bight red

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm really surprised that your yarn just came out all pink :0/. When I tried dyeing, even with lemonade, it turned colors other thank pink...hmmmm maybe you had bad Kool-Aid? You should give it another try! I only tried dyeing 100% wool...FYI wool + Kool-Aid = a fruity smelling sheep.

that1girl said...

yea. it was just my first try i think i did alot of things wrong. i'll try again. thanks for the comment

Jester said...

LMAO

"and my hands pink"

Oh dom you are so funny, props for trying , props.

that1girl said...

thank you jessica. ya gotta at least try

Search This Blog

I craft, I like making non useful items. And can't work on big projects without making ten items in between